AUGUST 2019 is...
August is Spinal Muscular Atrophy Month
Contact: Colleen McCarthy O’Toole, Cure SMA (firstname.lastname@example.org)
August is Dental Implant Awareness Month
American Academy of Implant Dentistry
AUGUST IS ALSO:
- Children's Eye Health & Safety Month
- Gastroparesis Awareness Month
- National Breastfeeding Month
- National Immunization Awareness Month
- Psoriasis Awareness Month
Note: Most data is taken from welcoa.org and healthfinder.gov. There could be errors in data/typing. We try to verify & post the most accurate information we can. When in doubt or question, always verify information for yourself with reputable sites.
Click here to find out how to get more information:
AWARENESS WEEKS THIS MONTH:
-August 1-8, 2019 World Breastfeeding Week
-August 4-10, 2019 National Health Center Week
-August 19-23, 2019 Contact Lens Health Week
-August 23-29, 2019 Health Unit Coordinator Week
AWARENESS DAYS THIS MONTH:
August 30, 2019 Opioid Misuse Prevention Day (World)
- AMPEDUP is our new Amputee Support Group. It is a free community service. This event is to support any amputee through all stages of limb loss. What better way to learn about the process than to meet with other amputees going through similar circumstances? These meetings are open. They occur once per month. It is scheduled the 3rd Friday of every month (subject to change due participation/other circumstances) You can check out our blog about it. You can call to register or go to our Facebook Page to the EVENT and click attending. #LicensedtoHeal #AmpedUp #GotoExcelRehab
If you have ideas for other support groups or would be interested in attending, contact us on our contact page! (stroke, amputee, caregiver, etc.)
- Ainsley's Angels Annual La State BBQ Cook-Off https://www.facebook.com/events/1900640456718385/
Local SUPPORT GROUP Links:
Dignity Memorial: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/about-dignity-memorial/supporting-our-communities/comforting-those-who-grieve Check out their LIFT program for widows and widowers
Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center: https://marybird.org/services/survivorship/
Baton Rouge General: https://www.brgeneral.org/patients-visitors/support-groups/
Baton Rouge Rehab Hospital: https://www.brrehab.com/site306.php
Francois Bend & Life Source Hospice Caretaker Support Group http://business.ascensionchamber.com/events/details/support-group-11-08-2019-2259
Garden View Assisted Living: Caregiver Support Group & Grief Support Group http://gardenview.org/
Helpful / Interesting Links
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/about-dignity-memorial/supporting-our-communities/comforting-those-who-grieve Check out their LIFT program for widows and widowers
https://www.facebook.com/skidawgs/ Check out David and his Adaptive Skiing Program on Facebook!
http://www.mswheelchairamerica.org/ Check out our own local Social Worker, Karen Roy, as Ms Wheelchair America 2019!
https://www.vettix.org/ For Vets Check out this resource for veterans and their families. Free tickets to concerts, games and more! Also on Facebook!
http://cameronsshoes.org/ -local Non-Profit started by a PA to distribute shoes to kids in Cali, Columbia
http://www.mclindonfamilyfoundation.org/ For special needs children to get free custom bikes! Your PT can refer.
http://www.vetaffairs.la.gov/ For Vets
http://www.nonvacare.va.gov/ For Vets
http://www.jar4change.org/ To help young Joey raise money for the sick babies at Woman's Hospital
http://www.buyveteran.com/ To help you locate local veteran owned businesses
http://www.amputee-coalition.org/ For amputee support
https://www.facebook.com/womenwineandconnections/ -Making connections and supporting the community This charity helps suppport our local Food Bank and Iris support for Domestic Violence. It keeps your donations local!